Tuesday, December 25, 2007

A humble holiday greeting...

..or, Walking With Pneumonia.

The last 2 weeks have been absolutely miserable for me, as I have been fighting off walking pneumonia. I haven't seen anyone other than my mom or my doctor since Dec. 14, when the sickness finally put me down for the count. Last week found me vomiting and strangling in my own mucus for the moments of consciousness I am able to recall, in addition to other horrors that are just plain best left to your imagination. Nothing makes you grateful for what you have like having to struggle to breathe, eat, or sit up. And if this did not serve as a reminder of how blessed I am, this year has seen a couple of my closer friends go away. Whit, my son Ben's stepfather, and the truest example of what a good Christian is supposed to be that I ever met, passed away in June, way too early, at 46. And one of my oldest friends betrayed me in an unforgivable manner in November. So this illness and the impermanence of life once again makes me want to say to you, my friends...

Thank you. For being part of my life. For being part of what drives me to continue drawing breath, and eating for that matter. I have said it many times before, even many times in this blog: my friends are my crowning glory, my saving grace. I know my own talent plays a part, but to put it simply: without you, I wouldn't be very much.

I hope this season brings you all of the peace humanity yearns for.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear life has given you so many lemons. Sounds like it's time to open up a tequila bar! With you to the end.....

7:49 AM  
Blogger TRS said...

And I, you...

Wow, I guess life has handed me lemons of late...but on the whole, 2007 was pretty good. I got to see you, and my son, in separate trips. I successfully transitioned into the career I have been wanting to for some time (with a lot of help from my friends!)...the year just ended badly.

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TRS-

Have a great year and I hope it gets better. I hope we see more of each other this coming year and our relationship will be defined more by real life activity than online political sparring.

cya soon
B

1:49 AM  
Blogger TRS said...

Yes, we could probably both do with the exercise real-life sparring would bring us!

I am always looking forward to more of your and your family's company!

10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To great friends and great health in '08! You're a gem, TRS.

-john

12:10 PM  
Blogger TRS said...

Thanks JW...I thought 2007 ended badly, whoooo doggies!

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home