Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Ace has a big weekend! (or) Stephen Colbert, Superstar!

Truthiness to power!

On Saturday night, Stephen Colbert (host of "Colbert Report" and former long-time Daily Show correspondent) used the forum given to him at the White House Correspondents Association's annual dinner to rip Bush a new one. He did it in the fawning tones of the ultra right-wing, Bush-supporting persona he employs as host of his "Report." I know all of the left wing blogs are on top of this, but there was a particular moment of genius that I haven't heard reflected back yet:

"Now, I know there's some polls out there saying this man has a 32% approval rating. But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality.' And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

That last sentence is worthy of Twain. I am sure we'll see it again.

By the way, is it me, or is Valerie Plame hot? Sorry, I hope that wasn't too Larry King-ish...

And, as if shattering Dubya's reality bubble wasn't enough attention for a Saturday night, he was also co-host of SNL's Robert Smigel retrospective of cartoons, in his Ace of the "Ambiguously Gay Duo" character. Steve Karel played Gary, of course. Ace introduced me to the semi-homo-erotic joy of Colbert. I didn't know he was Ace when he debuted on the Daily Show roundabout 1998; I thought he had weird- and slightly creepy-looking eyes...

I've since learned he is a former RPG-er! The homo-erotic love grows...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home