Thursday, January 27, 2005

Observations of a fat man

One in an occasional continuing series!

Sizzler ad, featuring their new Shrimp Cocktail offer. Seen it? The guy is running on the beach towards a man in a giant shrimp outfit. Well, before tonight, the shrimp's tail curled up under the man, forming an obscene phallus which the guy we first saw in the restaurant is running towards. Tonight, the same ad has a new costume, where the tail curls behind. I guess they agreed with my assessment!

Why do so many fast-food drive throughs install windows they never use? Several Carl's Jr.s have windows painted over. The local McDonald's only uses 2 of the 3 windows they have. To continue listing examples would only serve to further embarrass myself by expressing exactly HOW familiar I am with such matters...

Brings to mind my time working at Bob's Big Boy, where they had one window. Summer, 1988, a very miserable time for me! HA HA HA! My time there gave me the experience of severely overcooking at least 6 Big Boy hamburgers. So well done were they, that each patty was really a thin, little, charred hockey puck, and certain to be "boomerangs" in my mind, I had to send them out that way to buy time.

Not one ever came back!

By the way people: Woody's is gone, soon to be replaced by an IHOP.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny, I was just thinking about unused drive-thru windows the other day. Really! It occured to me that it was probably a matter of man power. At one point there seemed to be a benefit to the company and customers by having that extra window for taking money, but later it was probably eliminated because it took an extra person to man the window. Probably just economics.

Good night, Woodies. :~(

-jw

1:22 PM  
Blogger TRS said...

This is something I have noticed for some time now. It really hit home when the Taco Bell near IKEA I used to frequent got razed, and replaced by a brand new Taco Bell/Pizza Hut combo. That's right, it had 2 windows, which they used at the very beginning, and then never again for the rest of the time I ate there. The backed some storage shelf against it; and the Mickey D's in my hood has a bun rack now occupying their formerly first window.

He said "bun rack."

It makes me think that they spend unnecessary resources on these windows. No one seems to learn from someone else's problem...

Woody's is where I met Ben's mother, and at one point, I was employed there with Renard, Rainier, Rob Lait, and Eric Schaffer...

I started working there in 1982, a week after my 17th birthday.

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home