Saturday, August 21, 2004

I Pass for Peter Jackson

Now, for a more diary-like entry.


A reminder that when you click the link, you are NOT looking at a picture of me. I no longer have hair.

American Cinematech's Egyptian Theater has my ass-prints deep in one of their seats after 3 movies there last night. I PASS FOR HUMAN (2003), directed by Cinematech-insider Chris D., and Lynn Margulies (editor, producer, and noted ex of Andy Kaufman) screened at 7, and a double bill of Peter Jackson's first 2 features, MEET THE FEEBLES (1989) & BAD TASTE (1987) followed.

I had to run to the valley to aquire something, but I won't complain about the commute here. Plus, complaining about traffic in LA is like complaining about sunshine here; the traffic is also omnipresent. Anyway, I left my brother's in Sherman Oaks just before 6:30 pm to try to make the 7:00 pm showing on Hollywood Blvd. HA! I got there just as the opening credits were finishing.

I won't do a full-blown review here. I'd say it might be worth a video rental. It's about how dead junkies haunt current junkies from the after-life...AND it featured music by a band that played with FOREIGN OBJECT at the Garage the last night I saw Stephan perform, THE HANGMEN. Their music was perfect for this movie, and I must admit a deep and abiding affection for the bass player I saw perform with them in June of 2002.

Jackson's MEET THE FEEBLES cannot be easily explained, but here's a shot: what if the Muppet Show had a tell-all, non-politically correct, no taboo respected documentary made about it? It's an incredible piece of imagination, but not for the faint of heart. There's a scene that to me recalls the end of PINK FLAMINGOS...

Wait. Here's one sentence to describe it. Animals acting like people acting like animals.

MTF's desire to gross out it's audience is carried over from BAD TASTE, which was a cool exercise in DIY horror, it kind of feels like Jackson's version of EVIL DEAD. Unlike Sam Raimi's movie, Jackson plays 2 huge roles. And in one of those roles, imagine the love child of THE GOODIES Bill Oddie and WWE's Mick Foley as an alien invader..

What will make this entry more diary-like is the admission that last night, I wasn't as aware of the empty-nest blues...I could feel the upside of bachelorhood returning!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One day we will all be identified by our ass prints. Just think of the fun at airport check-ins!

Sorry to hear about the empty-nest syndrome, but if there's anything I can do to help, like taking you out to a strip joint or anything, please just let me know.

-jw/jitters

10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home