Sunday, July 25, 2004

ROCK & ROLL is here to stay!

In 1982 & 1983, it was possible to see live the following acts:

Thomas Dolby/Oingo Boingo/Missing Persons/Go Go's/Wall of Voodoo/Big Country/English Beat/Sparks and of course, many others...

...WITH PAID ADMISSION TO MAGIC MOUNTAIN! Can I get a witness? Okay, maybe it wasn"t ALL of these bands, but it was a lot of 'em, and some of the bands performed weeks apart from each other. It was a time when it seemed some brand-new new-wave band would step up, one week after another, to make sure there was a band playing at Magic Mountain on Friday night!

My happiest memory of the Magic Mountain concerts was me clapping loudly enough all by my self to piss off Rob Lait!

Not to get TOO nostalgic, but another very fond memory is of Sparks at the Santa Monica Civic in June of 1982...

BUT, not since those heady days have I seen a "wave" (unfortunate word that, with all of its baggage) of music to match the incredible tunes coming out of what seems to be EVERYWHERE, right now!

Part of it is my own ignorance; the bands that have moved me of late that have only entered my consciousness in the last 10 - 12 months are SNOW PATROL, THE KILLERS, THE THRILLS (thanks j!), MUSE, JEM, KINGS OF LEON, STERIOGRAM (thanks garr), & FAITHLESS. Very old acts doing Very cool new stuff are BAD RELIGION, THE CURE, and MORRISEY.

Anyway, would love to get less prosaic memories of LA's music scene (Magic Mountain shouldn't count) posted here...or your impressions of hot new tunes...from either side of the mic...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I thought I'd try to pull some L.A. music memories out of my ass/hat. One of the earlier shows I went to see when I first moved out here was Fishbone at that one place by Universal Studios, Henry Fonda/Ford theater? I didn't know my way around yet, and picked up Laura way late. She and her roommate thought I stood her up! But it was a good show though we missed maybe half!

Another good memory was being at Al's Bar on Cinco de Mayo and seeing El Vez there! What a party, and I was drunk as a skunk.

The last actual "concert" was seeing Oingo Boingo on or near Halloween in the late 80s. It was at that huge arena (Anaheim?) and after stepping over passed out partiers and being up in a crow's nest of a seat I vowed never to go to another arena show.

I also remember winning tickets from KXLU to see Green Jello in Huntington Beach. There are so many other shows, too many to recall much of... One of Pussy Galore's last shows, and also the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion at the Whiskey where I drank about four beers in quick succession and stacked the plastic cups together and threw them at the drummer. That was a blast. And on and on and on...

2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't go to rock shows. Too damn loud.

WHAT?

- LoKi

2:51 PM  
Blogger onelittlecanary said...

You want less prosaic venues than Magic Mountain? What about Raji's and Club Lingerie? You've mentioned some of my favorite bands of the 80's - some of which I saw at The Palladium. I even met Rob Lait (same person?) when I was at El Camino College. Thanks for the memories.

11:06 PM  
Blogger TRS said...

Well, it's probably impossible to get LESS prosaic, because the places you mentioned, or others, like Madam Wong's (East & West), are actually pretty glamorous compared to a kiddie theme park like Magic Mountain. And as far as Rob goes, I can't believe there was more than one Rob running around El Camino in the mid-1980's...he lives a block away from me today! Thanks for the comments! I love those bands a lot myself...

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home